Friday, November 20, 2009

of Captain Picard and Shrooms

It being the holiday season and since I've got a holiday sale coming up, I decided to sculpt some angels. Similar to the tree woman, these angels have thrown bodies and I'll be pulling clay to form wings and their arms. I have one angel done, but that one has a more realistic face. I decided to simplify things for these two because I'm running out of time to get them done AND fired (hopefully they will be bisqued by this Thursday... eeek! running out of time!)
I made the head for the back angel, stopped and thought, "Jeez! This looks like Jean-Luc Picard! Oh dear, I might have to add some hair hehe.

These are the thrown pieces I'm working on right now. All are bone dry, but I will be carving into the white circles to thin the walls out a bit. Why do you ask? The clay for the caps is made of Southern Ice porcelain (a clay from Australia that is one of the whitest and most translucent clays out there... expensive too... but sooo worth it to me!). The bottom clay is Smooth Sculpture from Clay Planet, which is the best clay supply store in the area! Ok, so the owners are friends of mine, but hey, I speak the truth!

A carved Shroom

When complete, these Shrooms will be night lights. I've cut a slot into the base so that way the cord for the night light can slide right in. And the light itself as a few prongs that will allow it to fit into the top of the base. Cover it up with the nice translucent porcelain cap, and you've got yourself a pretty nifty night light.

Will try to take pictures of them when they're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment