Sunday, January 3, 2010

Wood firing

Isa, lit by the glow of the kiln as she loads the front with wood.

Inside the kiln itself. So fiery and gorgeous.
The hill behind the kiln, lit by the fire shooting out of the chimney. 30 second exposure, can't remember how wide the aperature was open.

My one angel sculpture in the wood soda kiln. If you click on the image, you can increase the size and see how one wing was stuck to the wall of the kiln. I would have had to have been very careful in removing the sculpture from the wall when unloading her but...

While helping to get an empty shelf and post out of the kiln so I could get to more pieces, I dropped the post on her. Darn my relatively short arm length! At any rate, she broke off from the side of the kiln very easily. The front wing was fully broken off and some shards of her hair. The longest wing came off as well, not sure if it came off because of the dropped post or the difference in clay body. (I used 3 different clays in this sculpture).

The angel was already broken and chipped when I put her in, so I wasn't too worried about it. Although I do care about this piece, this is the nature of the medium. Things break. Can't worry too much about it, just move on and make something else.

Phil wouldn't let me toss it, so we collected the pieces and he says he will glue it back together. Will take photos of that when it's done.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome shots of the kiln! *sniff* sorry about the angel... it'll be good to see her after she recuperates! ;-)

    ReplyDelete