Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Noborigama wood firing results

Overall, we had a really good firing. The pieces came out were beautiful. Unfortunately, my two tall vases did not survive...

My 'alpha' vase died. The crack was pretty impressive.

View of the interior.

This vase made me very happy. There is this beautiful halo around the symbol. I thought all was good, however, as I was carrying it into my condo, I heard a "tink" sound and...

There ya have it, another impressive crack. I will be making more tall vases, but I think I'll be using a different clay and firing it differently. So sad.

Yet, in all this, I did get some really nice results for the wall hanging ikebana vases. These shapes are fun to make. I will definitely be making more of them.

Finally, my mermaid. At long last, she is done, and I couldn't be happier with how she turned out. She got glossy where I wanted her to be glossy and as you can see below

She got some nice jewels of glass and celadon blue in her crown.

As an added bonus, she got a nice ash drip on her elbow.

So, although I lost two nice vases, I'm very pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment