Wednesday, July 13, 2011

of ashtrays and vases

The friend who ordered an ashtray showed the last photo I took to his friends. Now, another friend wants one. Sigh... the only consolation is that these can be squared off bowls/plates as well as ashtrays.

I've been trying to push myself to throw taller and lighter with larger amounts of clay. The vases above were thrown from around 6.75 - 7lbs of clay. By the time they are done, they should be about 11-11.75 inches tall. Not bad. And they're not too heavy either. Happy!

Below are the two vases from last week. The shorter one is not bad. It's slightly off center at the top, but I can handle that. The one in the back had 'lumps', so I decided to start carving random streaks in it to help smooth those lumps out. I'm happy with the result, even if I did give another potter a 'heart attack' when I was madly carving. Sometimes, it's fun to just carve into these vases with no plan and no control (well, control enough not to break through the walls, but you get what I mean).

No comments:

Post a Comment